Sodexo Dietetic Internship
I am currently a distance dietetic intern with Sodexo and am having an amazing time being able to experience a variety of different settings in relation to nutrition. "SodexoUSA, North America's largest employer of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, offers future dietetic professionals the opportunity to complete their education in a variety of challenging and rewarding ways to accommodate part-time and full-time learners."
Clinical: Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach, CA.
My clinical rotation at Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach was jammed packed with MNT, understanding the functionality of a clinical RD, as well as being able to work with a wonderful team of Registered Dietitians.
Food Service & Wellness: Disneyland, Anaheim, CA.
I was able to complete both my food service rotation and chosen concentration: wellness at Disneyland. It was an amazing experience being able to work directly with regional Sodexo chefs and provide wellness education to Disney corporate members.
Community: Orange County, CA.
I was able to experience a variety of community related settings in Orange County, including providing nutrition education to the community's children, adults, and seniors as well as help distribute food at the local food bank.
- Clinical Rotation (+ Clinical Management and Patient Services): Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach CA / Long Term Care Rotation: AltaMed PACE, El Monte, CA (32 hours)
- Completed 540+ hours in a hospital clinical setting including cardiac, oncology, GI and ICU.
- Worked with a great team of RD that specialized in their own specific MNT field and provided hours of guidance.
- Gained one-on-one counseling experience at the Hoag's outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Center.
- Utilized Nutrition Focused Physical Exams to diagnose for any malnutrition.
Food Service & Wellness
- Food Service and Concentration: Wellness Rotation: Disneyland, Anaheim, CA.
- Completed 200 hours for food service / 200+ for Wellness.
- Revamped the nutrition labeling system for Simply-To-Go food items to better meet state requirements and decrease the amount of time for staff to assemble food products.
- Introduced new food products to Disney corporate wellness team through recipe demonstrations and food tastings.
- Provided nutrition tabling events to coincide with National Nutrition Month, Earth Day, and Cinco De Mayo.
- Collaborated with regional Sodexo Magic chefs to work on new Disneyland Pixarfest food items.
- Community Rotation: various locations around Orange County, CA/San Bernardino, CA/San Diego, CA.
- Completed 280+ hours.
- Dr. Riba's Health Club: a community centered health clinic located in various parts of Orange County and San Diego that focused on providing pediatric MD and RD nutritional advice as well as fitness instruction to children that are overweight/obese and their families. Worked directly with children on not only nutritional information, but also including exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County: distributing food items to various other food pantries around OC and sorting through food items for inventory and spoilage. One of the memorable projects for Sodexo was working on a menu that involved using most of the food products available at the food bank. Definitely, eye opening on the limitations such as ease of recipe instructions, ingredients, and kitchen tools.
- Woodbury Elementary School: who doesn't like to work with cute kindergarteners! I did my Eat a Rainbow presentation here and the kids loved it! I was surprised on how knowledgeable some where already on the different types of fruits and vegetables that are available.
- Chino Hills Community Center/City Hall: was able to work with adults and active adults (seniors) where I presented Healthy Eating for Your Heart and Don't Forget to Hydrate presentations. In both cases, the participants were very eager to learn about the material and asked so many questions! It was such a pleasure knowing that the information would be useful and utilized by the participants.